A Bosch dishwasher gives its user different options and cycles. These options suit various dishes and results. With the button panel, you can easily change from one setting to another. However, in some situations, the machine develops an error. The device won’t change settings and gets stuck in a single washing cycle.
So, what can be the reason for this problem?
Opening the Bosch dishwasher during a cycle or leaving the child lock on are some common mistakes resulting in the dishwasher not changing its settings. More severe causes include control board damage. All these reasons do have their proper fix. The best part is that they are all simple to follow.
This article will help you to see the cause of this error, possible fixes, and how you can prevent it in the future. The goal is to return the machine to its best. Ultimately, you will have all it takes to do just that.
Reasons Why Bosch Dishwasher Won’t Change Settings and Fixes to it.
When the Bosch dishwasher doesn’t change settings, there are different possible reasons for this problem. One intriguing fact is that the cause might be as common as a simple interruption of a washing cycle. On the other hand, it can also be a rare case of a bad control board.
The good news is that the possible causes all have simple fixes that don’t require much expertise from you. Here is the list of possible reasons why this error occurs:
Pause During Cycle
Opening your dishwasher’s door during a washing cycle is a common reason why the settings won’t change. Many times, users make these mistakes for several reasons. They include the following:
- Trying to change the washing cycle
- Opening the door to add soap into its compartment
- Checking to see if the machine is working.
All these processes interrupt the washing cycle and cause the system to freeze as a way to protect the user interface and the control board.
Your Bosch dishwasher won’t change settings because of opening during the washing cycle. There are no significant diagnostic steps to help determine the cause or solution. The only option here is to go straight to fixing the situation.
The best fix to this problem is to reset the system. This solution will clear any instructions and start a new washing cycle. There are two ways to reset the system.
The Simple Reset
This reset method requires a few steps, and you can restart the washing cycle. The steps are
- Open the dishwasher door.
- Press down the start/reset button until the LED indicator of the status changes to 00:01.
- Shut the door to drain the water at the bottom of the cycle has been on for a while.
- Open the dishwasher door again and press the On/Off button.
- Input the new washing cycle and washing mode.
- These steps reset the machine allowing you to start again.
The Power Reset
The power rest is the next option if the simple reset does not clear the error. This step involves shutting down the machine for a while. Follow these simple steps:
- Remove the power cord from the current source if the cable is visible.
- If the dishwasher power cord is inbuilt, find the source at the main circuit breaker. Trace the dishwasher using the label on the circuit breakers and switch off the dishwasher
- Power down the dishwasher for several minutes. The wait allows the machine to cool down and remove any trace of old settings and commands.
- Restore power after a while and check to see if the settings change.
However, if that is not the solution to the problem, then it is most likely that there are other settings in place to prevent this change. An example is the child lock.
Child Lock Is On
New Bosch dishwashers have exciting features to improve users’ experience. One of these features is the child lock setting. This setting prevents children’s interference while the washing cycle is on. The result is that the process or other settings do not change.
However, the machine does not respond to new washing cycles if it is not off after a washing cycle.
Possible Fix to Child Lock
The aim is to determine if the child lock is on and turn it off. This solution is straightforward. In a few steps, the bosch dishwasher is good to go. Press any button other than the off button, and if the LED displays the “CL” icon, then the child lock is on. Turn it by holding down the CL key.
Here is a video explaining the steps to switch off the bosch dishwasher child lock.
If turning off the bosch dishwasher child lock does not solve the problem, there are some possible options left. In some situations, you find that the dishwasher has the child lock on and does not respond to the steps of switching it off.
When this happens, it is appropriate to consider the issues with the control panel or the buttons.
Control Buttons Error
The control buttons are responsible for sending commands to the control module or board for actions. When the buttons are bad due to years of use or rare accidents, they will prevent the system from changing settings. Remember that the system might affect you.
When you suspect the error is with the control buttons, the viable solution is to replace it. Replacing the control button and interface does not require much expertise. The primary tool for this process is the appropriate screwdriver.
Note that there are different models of dishwashers. Hence, when purchasing a new part, use the Bosch Dishwasher model number as a guide to buying a fitting piece. Once the button panel is available, here are the steps to follow:
- Remove the power cord of the dishwasher. Alternatively, find its connection at the circuit breaker and turn it off.
- Open the dishwasher and remove the four screws along the sides. It would be best if you had a nut screwdriver for this step. Two screws are at the top edge, and another two are at the middle of the door line.
- Close the door and remove the panel cover. Do this by pulling the panel downwards from under the control module. Then remove it.
- Remove the control panel by lighting it and carrying gently. Different harnesses connect to the rest of the dishwasher, holding down this control panel.
- Note the orientation of the different cables that connect to this panel. Remove the wires to release the control panel fully.
- Press the different tabs on the sides of the control panel. This step will release the board, allowing you to remove it from the door.
- Next, replace the old board with the new one and gently push the panel back into place. A simple click should help confirm that the panel is back in place.
- The next step is reconnecting the various cables following the old connection system.
- Return the screw and screw it firmly.
- Power up the machine and try a new washing cycle
Suppose this step and the others do not solve the problem. In that case, it is necessary to consider the possibility of a faulty control board.
Faulty Control Board
The control board is the ultimate brain of the dishwasher. Any error in it will affect various parts of the machine’s operation. Check if the control is faulty when the buttons don’t work and a replacement does not solve the issue.
Diagnostic Steps and Possible Fix
There are failproof steps to determine if the control board is the reason for this problem. When every other step fails, it is reasonable to look at the control board as the source of error. If you are unsure, you can request the services of local experts to help check out the control board. Sometimes, there is the option of repair. However, it is best to get a new control board.
Here are some points to note in replacing the control board:
- Follow the same steps to replace the control panel and buttons.
- The control board connects with the panel; you can easily remove it from the panel, not the wire connection.
- Mount the new control board and reconnect the cables.
- The Bosch dishwasher control board works well with the different models from the company. However, it is still important to purchase using the appliance model number.
Bosch Support and Warranty
If you are still not satisfied with the above fixes, it’s time to call the Bosch company engineer.
Text “SUPPORT” to 21432 for quick access to online resources such as owner manuals, servicer finder, FAQs, how-to videos, warranties, and parts & accessories search.
Bosch offers 1-year limited warranty on its range of dishwashers.
To register your new product with Bosch, please check out this link.
A Bosch dishwasher will continue to give desirable results in washing dishes to perfection if all parts and functions are delicate. However, the machine develops faults that prevent such consequences due to mistakes and errors. So when your Bosch Dishwasher doesn’t change settings, there are four options available as a possible solution.
- Reset the dishwasher through the various method
- Check and turn off the child lock settings
- Replace the buttons panel
- Replace the control board
The goal is to get the machine to respond to commands once again. You can achieve that functional state with the appropriate solution to this particular problem. Follow the simple steps and restore the washing machine. Sit back, relax, and watch while the machine washes.