A microwave is an important appliance in the kitchen. And, it’s one of the most-used appliances in the kitchen.
We store most of our cooked meals in the refrigerator. Even the ones bought from restaurants sometimes end up in the refrigerator.
With a microwave, you can warm and cook a range of foods. However, proper maintenance is crucial to make the appliance last longer. And that means making sure that only the right things go into the microwave.
Most people have argued that putting a magnet on a microwave is safe. But then, some believe it’s unsafe.
In this post, we shall address the confusion and set the record straight. So, read for more information on this topic.
- 1 Is It Safe To Put Magnets on a Microwave?
- 2 Is It Safe To Put a Magnet in a Microwave?
- 3 Do Magnets Ruin Microwaves?
- 4 Can You Put Magnets on a Fridge?
Is It Safe To Put Magnets on a Microwave?
Placing a magnet on the microwave shouldn’t cause any issue. Besides, the case is steel, and the magnetic field where you have the magnet attached should remain there.
Additionally, there’s no scientific proof to support the claim that the magnets on the oven would interfere with the magnetrons’ function.
However, personal experience and accounts from several individuals have shown that having a magnet on a microwave could damage the appliance. Most people who had magnets placed on their microwave reported that it stopped working all of a sudden.
So, there’s a possibility that placing magnets on the microwave can damage the appliance, though in-depth research is highly needed to back this claim.
Is It Safe To Put a Magnet in a Microwave?
It’s not safe. Don’t let a magnet or metal get inside your microwave. Most people might argue that microwave has magnets in the magnetron that help direct the electrons to heat foods once you turn on the appliance.
However, the fact that microwaves have magnets doesn’t mean we can put a magnet in them. If you put a magnet in a microwave and have it turned on, anything can happen.
Nevertheless, if you’re looking to satisfy your curiosity, make sure there’s a fire extinguisher beside you when you put a magnet in your microwave.
Why is placing a magnet in a microwave unsafe? It’s not because of the magnet’s magnetic field alone, but the fact that it is a metal. Metals are such good conductors.
So, there’s a possibility that the magnet would reflect the energy produced by the microwave back to the appliance’s emitter. And this can cause the microwave to heat up and then develop a fault.
Do Magnets Ruin Microwaves?
If you understand how microwaves work, you’ll know why placing a magnet on or in them isn’t advisable. And yes, magnets can ruin your microwave. But, of course, we are talking about neodymium magnets.
The microwaves that heat the interior are electromagnetic radiations, similar to radio waves. They are from a device termed magnetron, which rapidly pulses back and forth within the oven at a calibrated frequency.
When the microwave bounces off the oven’s interior walls, it can pass through glass, paper, or plastic, but not food. Food absorbs microwaves.
However, if you place metal in the oven, it would deflect the waves away from the food. And when this happens, the waves start to jump erratically and possibly ruin the microwave’s interior.
So, there’s no reason to have magnets in and around your microwave. You can’t tell the extent of damage this can cause to your appliance.
Can You Put Magnets on a Fridge?
If you’re fond of using neodymium magnets to pin things on your refrigerator, you might have been wondering whether you were doing the right thing or not. So, this question, “can you put magnets on a fridge?” should be relevant to you.
Well, the answer is yes. You won’t harm your fridge if you put a magnet on it. However, there is a report that having magnets on the fridge increases its electricity consumption.
The so-called claim states that magnets raise the electromagnetic force of the appliance’s electric field. But the truth is, it’s all a myth.
Why is this claim false? It’s simply because the magnet’s magnetic field is too small to travel through the fridge’s door. Therefore, they can’t significantly impact the fridge’s electromagnetic field or raise its electricity consumption.
So, if you’re fond of pinning stuff on your fridge door, go ahead and decorate your appliance. Having magnets on the fridge’s door won’t cause any danger. All claims that it raises electricity consumption, including making food unhealthy, are not true.
Is it safe to put a magnetic in the microwave? That’s the major question in this article. And to put it briefly, microwave ovens are designed to heat food. So, you have no reason to have magnets in the oven. Heating a magnet has no significance.
But if you want to try it out to appease your curiosity, ensure you don’t heat the magnet for a long time. Of course, you should mind the kind of magnet you experiment with too.
Under extremely high heat, a neodymium magnet placed in a microwave would lose its magnetic properties. But that’s not all. Because its a metal, chances are it can damage the interior part of the oven.
So, by all means, avoid putting magnets in your microwave. It would be best if you didn’t even place it on the appliance.
Things That Should Never Go Into Your Microwave
Microwave is important in the kitchen. And there’s a need to ensure the appliance is working at maximum capacity throughout.
If you want to maintain your microwave, there are things you shouldn’t place in there. Let’s run through the various items.
- Eggs: If you don’t want to spend time cleaning your microwave, avoid boiling your eggs in it. When used to boil eggs, the high temperature would cause the egg to explode, messing up your appliance.
- Cookware that boasts metal trim: Do not allow anything that has metal to get into your microwave. Metals are a big red flag and shouldn’t go in there for any reason.
- Plastic storage container: If you’re sure that the plastic is microwave-safe, you can put it in your microwave. But check the body of the plastic to confirm if it’s labeled oven-safe. If you don’t find a clue, don’t allow any plastic to go into your microwave.
- Stainless steel travel bottles/mugs: Most people still place mugs in the microwave, forgetting that they contain stainless steel. Please avoid putting travel mugs in the microwave. If you make such mistakes, know that the stainless steel material will prevent the heat from warming up whatever you have in the mug. It can damage your microwave oven too. You can place a plastic mug in the microwave. But before doing so, check to make sure it’s microwave-safe.
- Aluminum foil: Don’t ever make the mistake of placing aluminum foil in your microwave. It’s metal and what makes it more dangerous is that it can catch fire. So, if the food you’re heating up is in aluminum foil, endeavor to remove it before transferring it to the microwave.
- Leaving the microwave empty: Microwaves come designed to produce electromagnetic radiation when turned on. It is what it uses to heat food items. However, leaving the microwave empty isn’t good. There would be nothing in the appliance to absorb the waves, a development that can cause it to catch fire.
- Paper bags: Paper bags not only can release toxins. They can also cause fire when placed in a microwave.
- Butter and yogurt containers: When you look at these containers, you’ll discover that they’re lighter. And this makes them impossible to microwave. Additionally, butter and yogurt containers come designed for single use. They’re not containers you can microwave. They’ll melt under extremely high heat and mess up your microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Temperature Affect Magnets?
Yes, the temperature can significantly affect a magnet. For example, when you heat a magnet to over 80 degrees Celsius, it can lose its magnetic properties within the twinkling of an eye.
Furthermore, once a magnet loses its magnetic properties, keep in mind that it’s gone forever. Magnets become demagnetized when exposed to high temperatures for a specific period or when heated at Curie temperature.
Is Placing The Decorative Magnet On A Fridge Unsafe?
The answer is yes and no. Yes, if you’re using a strong magnet. Such types of magnet won’t fall off the fridge.
Additionally, magnetism won’t affect your fridge, including whoever touches the appliance. So, there’s no reason to feel bothered in that aspect.
Now, here’s where those tiny pieces of decoration most people have on their fridge can be dangerous.
For those that have little children at home, chances are the kids could attempt to swallow the decorative piece on your fridge in your absence.
If they fall to the ground, someone might step on them and slip. Burning the decorative piece also has adverse health implications. Inhaling the smoke can lead to respiratory distress.