Mold may look harmless, but it can have serious health problems. It causes allergic symptoms like runny nose, wheezing, coughing, itching, and more. That’s why you should never assume even the slightest mold growth. But can Dawn dish soap kill mold?
Yes, Dawn dish soap can kill mold. Dawn features a blend of chemicals that can effectively eradicate mold and remove mold stains. But it’s not as effective as some other products you probably have in your home. However, if it’s the only option you’ve got left, it can suffice.
It takes only 24 hours after mold spores encounter water for mold to start growing. Hence, never wait too long to remove mold growth. The sooner you act, the better. And herein, we will examine a few options to see what you can use for the work besides Dawn.
Does Dish Soap Kill Mold?
No, dish soap usually doesn’t kill mold. Dish soaps typically don’t have the right ingredients to kill mold. But that’s not to say they’re useless in mold removal. Dish soaps can help clean mold off surfaces, which is a great way to control its growth.
Dish soaps have played an essential role in keeping our homes clean for years. Whether removing grease from dishes or cleaning our clothes, they have always been there for us. Sometimes we even use them for real “dirty” chores, like dissolving clogs. They’ve just been one of the most versatile cleaning tools in our arsenal.
But even with the high versatility, not every chore is a good fit for dish soap, and mold removal is one of them. While dish soap has many properties that could render it an ideal candidate for mold removal, a few facts make it a terrible choice.
The most glaring issue is that dish soap usually lacks the ingredients to kill mold. Dish soaps have ingredients that help them cut through grease and grime. However, these ingredients don’t possess enough potency to destroy mold.
As such, you can’t use dish soap to kill mold. It can do well in removing fungi from surfaces, and that’s different from destroying them. Removal means the mold is still alive and can grow or even affect you. So, consider a better option for removal.
You could as well combine dish soap with a more potent mold killer. Doing this would give you the best of both worlds – the cleaning power of dish soap and the mold-killing potency of a more robust solution. But we will discuss more of that later.
Will Dish Soap Kill Mold on the Floor?
Dish soap is not an agent that can kill mold or any other fungi on the floor or any other surface. However, its cleaning properties can help remove mold from floors, just that it won’t kill the fungi.
If you’ve noticed mold on the floor and are thinking of using dish soap to clean it up, you may want to hold that thought. Remember, dish soap is not a mold killer and will only help remove the fungi.
The furthest dish soap can go in fighting mold is inhibiting it from spreading. Most dish soaps contain Triclosan, an antibacterial and antifungal agent that works well to stop the growth of mold, bacteria, and other germs. However, this agent won’t kill the already existing mold.
Will Dish Soap Kill Mold on Wood?
Dish soap will neither kill mold on wood for the same reason it won’t work on any other surface; it doesn’t have the necessary properties to destroy mold. However, combining it with already-established mold cleaners can improve the potency of the solution.
Using soap on wood won’t help kill mold. It will clean the mold off the surface since it has the properties needed to cut through mold and detach it from the surface. That makes removing it easy, but it won’t kill the mold.
Does Vinegar Kill Mold?
Vinegar is one of the household cleaners you can use to kill mold. Vinegar is a renowned cleaner with remarkable antibacterial and antifungal properties, so it has the power to eliminate mold from your surfaces.
We’ve all used vinegar around the house. It’s an all-purpose cleaner that you can use for different cleaning chores. It could be cleaning the windows, dissolving cobwebs, or even unclogging a drain.
But yet another impressive use for vinegar is killing mold. The household chemical has naturally acidic properties that allow it to kill mold on contact. Precisely, vinegar can kill 82% of mold species, making it a potent weapon against mold.
Plus, vinegar is non-toxic and doesn’t give off harmful fumes like some household mold killers often used at homes. You can also use it for both porous and non-porous surfaces, making it one of the reliable home remedies for mold removal.
- Fill a spray bottle with a vinegar solution, preferably 5% vinegar.
- Spray the moldy surface with the vinegar solution
- Leave for an hour
- Wipe the place clean
- Leave the surface to dry
Does Bleach Kill Mold?
Yes, you can use bleach to kill mold. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, a harsh compound that kills many microorganisms, including mold spores. But it can also be dangerous to your health, so observe the necessary precautions when using it.
Bleach is a potent way of dealing with mold growth in your home. The main active ingredient in bleach – sodium hypochlorite – is among the most effective mold killers. It kills mold on contact by destroying their cell walls.
One thing, though, bleach poses a severe threat to your health if you are not careful. It emits chloramine gas, a toxic substance that can lead to nausea, coughing, and difficulty breathing. Hence, take necessary precautions when using bleach as a mold killer. That includes being in protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area.
But then again, bleach won’t work on just any surface. It is only effective on non-porous surfaces like tiles, glass, countertops, etc. It doesn’t penetrate porous surfaces like carpet, drywall, and wood.
When applied on these surfaces, it will only kill the mold on the surface without taking care of the one growing inside the pores and beneath the surface. It can even worsen the problem by providing moisture that will further encourage mold growth.
If you have to use it on a porous surface, mix it with dish soap. Dish soap has surfactant properties that will break down the surface tension of the porous surface to allow the bleach to penetrate and kill the mold.
But generally, if you can, try other friendlier and safer alternatives to bleach. And in case it’s the only option you have, here’s the procedure;
- Mix bleach with water. A cup of bleach for every gallon of water is good.
- Soak a brush or sponge in it and apply it on the moldy surface.
- Leave it for at least 20 minutes
- Rinse with clean water
- Dry the surface.
Does Hydrogen Peroxide Kill Mold?
Hydrogen peroxide effectively kills mold once applied to it. Hydrogen peroxide works by breaking down essential components of mold, including its DNA and proteins, resulting in its death. It can also kill viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms.
Once applied to the mold, the effervescent reaction effectively destroys mold and other microorganisms. And unlike bleach, hydrogen peroxide doesn’t produce any toxic fumes and is safe for use around children and pets.
It isn’t as potent as bleach, but its moderate effectiveness and safety make it an excellent choice for mold removal. Plus, it penetrates all types of surfaces, porous and non-porous alike, so it will break down mold spores on the surface and beneath it. That prevents mold from returning.
- Fill a spray bottle with 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Spray moldy area until saturated
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- Scrub to remove spores and stains.
- Wipe down the area with a clean cloth
- Let dry.
Does Hot Water Kill Mold On Dishes?
Yes, hot water is enough to kill mold. Most mold species will die when exposed to temperatures between 60-70 degrees Celsius (140 – 158 degrees Fahrenheit). That puts boiling water at 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit), well above that range.
Mold thrives well in warm and wet areas. The optimal temperature for most species is between 16 and 27 degrees Celsius (60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit). And coincidentally, that’s also the best temperature range for humans, which is probably why you’re sharing your home with mold.
However, when exposed to higher temperatures, mold will die. That’s why boiling water to kill mold on dishes is one of the most effective ways to kill it. And yes, the procedure is just as simple as the means.
- Try to remove as much mold as possible. You can use a soft-bristle brush for this job.
- Immerse dishes in boiling water for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove and wash with detergent.
- Dry them before storing them in their usual place.
What Kills Mold Permanently?
Unfortunately, we don’t have a product you can use to kill and keep mold away for good. That’s because mold is a ubiquitous microorganism that naturally occurs indoors and outdoors. But if you can take a few measures, you can minimize or even prevent mold growth in your home.
Here are some of the things you can do to keep mold at bay;
- Reduce humidity in your home. Use a dehumidifier if you live in humid areas or if your house is prone to moisture.
- Fix all leaks and drips as soon as possible.
- Clean and dry all wet areas immediately.
- Use exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen to ventilate properly.
- Keep the temperature low since mold thrives in warm environments.
- Always clean dishes properly before storage
- Don’t let dirty laundry pile up.
These are just a few things you can do to keep mold from growing in your home. But if you already have a mold problem, you’ll need to take more drastic measures to eliminate it.
Mold is a pesky microorganism that can cause severe damage to your home and health. But with the proper knowledge and products, you can get rid of it. Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and bleach are some of the effective household chemicals for the job. And as usual, always remember to wear gloves and a mask when cleaning mold. Also, you can always use professional services to eliminate mold if situations dictate that as the best option.